“We want to make a bigger change to one million more lives through a world class outdoor activity centre”
John Cronin, CEO YMCA Fylde Coast
The vision for Lakeside is to change the lives of one million more young people who might otherwise not reach their full potential. To achieve this, we aim to create a world class outdoor activity centre that will be a place of inspiration and aspiration where children and young people know they are safe, secure and valued.
Over the past two years YMCA has worked hard creating ambitious plans to redevelop the site to meet the needs of the next generation of young people.
This is not a mere pipedream
The Lake District National Park Authority in January 2014 gave us full planning permission to develop a beautiful and iconic facility that will benefit not only disadvantaged youngsters, but also our neighbours here in Windermere.
The redevelopment plans focus on the construction of a new School and Youth Facility which will be more economical and cost effective to operate from than our current buildings. Our longer term vision also includes the development of a modern, purpose built Training Centre and additional Family Lodges. Overall our plans will secure employment for the existing 67 staff employed on site whilst creating an additional 11 jobs.
The Vision for the Schools Facility
With your support we can create a brand new facility for children and young people to enjoy and learn from Lakeside’s outdoor activities at a total cost of £6.8 million.
The new facility will enable us to support nearly a third more children and young people than we currently do – reaching up to 10,000 each year.
The project will create:
- 192 student bed spaces, divisible into dormitories for 4/6 people with ensuite facilities (a third more than the existing provision);
- 24 teacher/youth leader bed spaces divisible into 2 bed dormitories with ensuite facilities;
- additional safety and security features as part of the design;
- Recreational and social areas;
- Four teaching / training rooms for up to 50 people;
- On-site catering facilities and dining room;
- Separate quality accommodation and staff room area for 8 leaders;
- An outdoor play area and canopied outdoor area;
- Pitches for a tented village with 176 maximum occupancy; and
- A modern IT Suite
To realise our plans we need the backing of individuals and large corporate organisations that recognise the need to invest in the future generation, believe in the powerful impact of high quality residential experiences and are able to help us raise the capital required.Alongside these direct donations our funding strategy also includes applying to charitable trusts, grant making organisations, exploring sponsorship opportunities and potential collaborative arrangements with other like minded youth organisations and charities.